Sinus Surgery in Houston, Texas
As a leading sinus surgeon based out of Houston, where sinus and nasal problems are common, Dr. Sofola’s primary focus lies in his expertise of the nose.
Diagnostic test for sinusitis
Allergy & ENT Associates uses an easy and painless process with a modern CT Scan technology for diagnosing chronic sinusitis. Xoran CT scanning takes 20 seconds, is performed in our offices and uses minimal radiation. The scans are done while sitting in an open setting without experiencing claustrophobia. Patients scan results are discussed directly with our providers and a referral is made to our ENT surgeons when appropriate. Our team of surgeons include: Rhinologist, Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Sinus Surgeons and highly trained general ENT’s.
Complex Revision Sinus Surgery in Houston, Texas
Complex revision sinus surgery is the skilled diagnosis and management of recurrent sinus disease. From pre-operative planning, our sinus surgeons will provide an all-in-one solution for patients with a history of recurrent sinusitis despite having had sinus surgery.
Types of Nasal Congestion Treatments
Nasal congestion can lead to many other illnesses and ailments, for example, you may be feeling lethargic because you are not breathing properly at night. The best procedures consider cosmetic and functional results at the same time.
- Nasal Valve Reconstruction – Improving nasal airflow through reconstruction of a narrowed or weakened area of nasal airflow.
- Septoplasty – This procedure repairs and straightens a crooked septum to improve the nasal passage and is more than just functional repair.
- Turbinate Reduction – Enlarged inferior turbinate’s often cause nasal congestion. This procedure reduces turbinate’s for better breathing. Turbinate surgery is used to treat nasal congestion when other non-surgical options have failed.
- Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery – Our surgeons use the latest in video-aided technologies (endoscope) to improve the drainage-patterns of the para-nasal sinuses.
- Balloon Sinuplasty – The procedure utilizes small balloons placed in key places in the nose and sinus, which are then dilated to expand the sinus pathways. It may be an effective, lasting option for some patients whose symptoms do not resolve with medication.
- Reconstruction after Mohs Surgery for Skin Cancer – Restoring and replacing removed skin where skin cancer was removed is a cosmetic procedure to support full recovery after skin cancer removal.
Functional Rhinoplasty vs Cosmetic Reconstruction Rhinoplasty
Common breathing problems arise from a variety of issues at the same time. Function Rhinoplasty will normally involve surgical rectification to several nasal structures, including the septum (middle wall of the nose), the turbinate (the structures that regulate airflow), and natural narrowing of the nose (the external and internal nasal valves). Cosmetic reconstruction for shape or function is a real option for many people today. See more information on our here.
To see before/after images from nasal procedures, click here.
How To Know When Sinus Surgery in Houston, Texas, Is Necessary
Sinus surgery can be advantageous for many patients but is not the solution for every situation. Often, lack of results from non-surgical sinus treatments is an indication that sinus surgery should be considered. Signs may include:
- Sinus or nasal polyps.
- Persistent, chronic sinusitis that does not respond to aggressive treatment
- Structural abnormalities of the sinus cavity or nose
- Sinus disease related to fungal infection
- Sinus infection involving bone tissue
- Cancer in the sinus cavity
is sinus surgery painful?
Sinus surgeries are conducted with appropriate local anesthetics or anesthesia, promoting comfort during the procedure. Some patients develop discomfort after sinus surgery, which may range from mild to significant. Prescription pain medication can significantly improve comfort during initial recovery, and patients are often able to switch to an approved over-the-counter pain reliever after a few days.
Sinus Surgery in Houston, Texas, Recovery
Recovery for most sinus surgery patients ranges from a few days to a few weeks. During your consultation for sinus surgery, we will discuss all relevant details, including what to expect during your recovery period.
It is not uncommon for sinus patients to notice blood-tinged nasal drainage after sinus surgery. Heavy bleeding is not expected and may need to be evaluated in the medical office or emergency room. The risk of bleeding can be decreased by avoiding strenuous exercise for at least two weeks after surgery and taking only approved medications that will not thin the blood. If you have questions about medication use before and after sinus surgery, speak with your doctor.
Patients of Allergy & ENT Associates are provided with post-operative instructions specific to their surgical procedure to promote optimal healing.
Contact Us For a Sinus Appointment
If you would like more information regarding any of these sinus procedures, please call our central appointment desk (713) My-Sinus or (713) 697-4687 and schedule an appointment with one of our sinus specialists.