Allergy Skin Testing in Houston, TX
Our Houston, Texas, practice can perform allergy skin testing on over 64 various allergens plus foods, metals, and venoms, allowing us to solve the root causes of your allergy symptoms. Our various tests include allergy patch tests, skin tests, blood tests, and many other effective methods. Each allergy test will identify whether or not you have allergies and determine exactly what you’re allergic to. We also strive to provide resources that will prevent future allergic reactions including allergy shots. Experience the difference with our allergy skin testing in Houston, Texas.
- Skin Test: (also known as a prick or scratch test) involves lightly pricking the skin on the back or forearm with a tiny drop of the liquid allergen.
- Intradermal Skin Testing: If prick test is negative for an allergen, an intradermal skin testing for that substance can be done. The intradermal test may be optimal if there is a suspected venom or drug allergy.
- Blood Allergy Testing: involves a quick blood draw. The patient’s blood is sent to the laboratory, and the presence of antibodies to certain allergen indicates an existing allergy.
- Oral Challenge: an oral food challenge may be recommended if results from a skin or blood test are uncertain. During an oral food challenge, the patient will consume a small amount of food in increasing amounts over a period of time to observe if an allergic reaction occurs.
- Patch Testing: caused by a certain chemical (gold, nickel, etc.), a patch test can be performed. Patch test involves the application of a small amount of allergen onto the surface of the skin.
- Penicillin Testing: performed in office monitored under our nurses and providers while observing for signs of a reaction. Your specialist can help you determine if penicillin testing is needed.
- Insect Allergy Testing: this test is done similar to the prick testing and helps identify potential anaphylactic reaction.