When To Contact an Allergist vs. ENT


October 13, 2020


When To Contact an Allergist vs. ENT

An easy mistake to make as a patient is thinking an allergist is the same as an ENT doctor. Though there are instances such as sinus infections when their practices collide, for the most part, the two positions specialize in different areas of health. Continue reading to learn when to contact an allergist vs. an ENT.

Reasons To See an Allergist

A person will suffer from allergies when the immune system acts as if a particle is harmful to the body. These particles are typically harmless unless you are allergic, and such allergies can range from pollen and certain foods to pet dander. Allergic reactions can vary in severity, but if you notice that you are experiencing symptoms, you should see an allergist. Allergists or immunologists are medical professionals who can diagnose and treat any allergies you may be suffering from. An allergist can perform tests to see if you are allergic to certain particles, and if necessary, help you manage the symptoms non-surgically by prescribing or recommending medication. Some signs that you should contact an allergist include:

  • Sinus and facial pressure
  • Regular sinus infections
  • Trouble breathing
  • Chest tightness
  • Wheezing or coughing at night or after exercise
  • Nasal congestion
  • Signs of asthma
  • Asthma or allergies are affecting day to day life

Reasons To See an ENT

On the other hand, you might also be dealing with issues relating to your ears, nose, and throat. While symptoms in these areas can be intertwined with allergies, there’s a difference between the two. An ENT doctor or otolaryngologists will help diagnose and treat any conditions related to your ears, nose, throat, head, and neck. Some reasons you should see an ENT doctor include:

  • Ear infections
  • Hearing complications
  • Tonsil infection
  • Pain in the ear, nose, or throat
  • Issues swallowing
  • Cancer or tumors in the head and neck
  • Chronic sinusitis
  • Deviated septum
  • Cleft palate
  • Tinnitus
  • Vertigo symptoms

Visit Allergy and ENT Associates

Now that you have a better idea about when to contact an allergist vs. an ENT, you are closer than ever to getting the care you need. If you are in the Houston area searching for an “ENT allergist near me,” consider Allergy and ENT Associates sooner rather than later.

This entry was posted in Blog on October 13, 2020 by AENT Team.

Patient Education

Check out these helpful posts

  • Allergy
  • Asthma

What is the allergic march?

Can your allergies grow over time? The allergic march, also known as atopic march or allergen march, is the phrase…

  • Asthma
  • Home Page Highlighted
  • Speciality Page Highlighted

5 Historical Figures Who Suffered From Asthma

Asthma is a serious medical condition, but you can still accomplish amazing things. Here are some historical figures with asthma…

  • Allergy

4 Signs That Someone Is Going Into Anaphylactic Shock

Allergic reactions range from minor inconveniences to very dangerous situations. That’s why you want to learn the signs of anaphylactic…

Book a same-day appointment

Build a comprehensive treatment plan with our providers

or call us at 713-697-4687 (713-MY-SINUS)

Ask us a question

For information unrelated to booking an appointment, please use the form below

Contact Us